Great news, we did it!

After almost two decades of campaigning by the Woodland Trust, with your help, changes to planning rules will finally give England's ancient trees and woods the highest possible protection from development. Read more in our blog:

The government's amendments to the National Planning Policy Framework means that England's most important trees, and woodland habitats, are given the protection they deserve from insensitive and unnecessary development. At the same time, the new Ancient Tree Inventory now lists Trees of National Special Interest (TNSI -  

This is not the end of the story though, we still need to work hard to make sure planning policy is enacted at a local level and that national infrastructure is delivered in a manner sensitive to our special trees and woods. And we need TNSIs to be given statutory protection of their own.

We'll need your support along the way so please continue to help us by making a donation.

What else can you do?

Today's announcement will also help to embed the principles of the Charter for Trees, Woods and People. The charter, which sets out the modern-day relationship between trees and people, acknowledges that ancient woods and trees have irreplaceable value as both heritage and habitat; their unique features should be maintained, restored or enhanced wherever they are found.

Sign the Charter

Donate today


Donate and help us stand up for trees and woods

Despite the great news, our nation’s woods and trees are still under threat. We need your support to help us continue fighting pressures from development, disease and climate change.

Your donation

giftaid-sml.png The Gift Aid scheme means that any donations you make to the Woodland Trust will be worth 25% more at no cost to you.

I confirm that I am a UK taxpayer and understand that if I pay less Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax than the amount of Gift Aid claimed on all my donations in that tax year, it is my responsibility to pay any difference.

Please notify us if you want to cancel this declaration, change your name or home address, or if you no longer pay sufficient tax on your income and/or capital gains.

If you pay Income Tax at the higher or additional rate and want to receive the additional tax relief due to you, you must include all your Gift Aid donations on your self-assessment tax return or ask HMRC to adjust your tax code.

Show more